Sunday, November 1, 2015

Sleepless on the Horizon



Cold cornerstones of this city
Are not a comfortable perch
The wind renders me invisibly disposable
and my heart in its desolation lurks,
waiting around street corners
For the first available turn
to declare its existence
Sleepless on the horizon,
purple, awake insecure.

Scraped bucket bottoms
To catch subway trains
Speeding against the concrete breeze,
Leaving behind specks of urban rapture
I’m running past my feet
Scream into the silence
Where no one listens
As Life bites at my heels
As Life bites at my heels

This world is not my home I know
Despite this I confess
This bruised beating heart needs its hope
In the assurance of eternal rest
Between the parted lips of heaven and hell
the water is so blue
Grant me comfort underneath the stars
A teardrop closer to you
A teardrop closer to you

Nearer my God to Thee
I’ve finally reached the shore
Borne all I could
I paid the price
To leave this body here
To be baptised
in the crimson of the sunset sky
Cleansed until
My tears were dry
No longer
Sleepless
Sing lullabies
Sink safely down to sleep
Sink safely down to sleep

Sleepless on the horizon
Your eyes they search for me.
Your eyes they search for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment