Sunday, November 1, 2015

My Name is A Form of Resistance

My name is a form of resistance
Against the anglicanization
and exotification
Of a body and a struggle
You don’t even have the
Syllables
To comprehend.

My name is a form of resistance
Because my mother
Named me for my Homeland.
She named me
to belong
No matter where
my feet would find me.

My name is a form of resistance
Because I was blessed in birth
To embody an oral history
that was kissed to my forehead
like a prayer
joining
Air and Earth
to Flesh and Blood.


My name is a form of resistance
Because it means hope and aspiration
in Sanskrit
across the Crimson scars you have left
on the faces of those
who have tried
to Rise.

My name is a form of resistance so
just because
You cannot pronounce it
Does not give You the right
To dismiss it
Or erase it
And then make me feel like
Suddenly
It doesn’t fit.
Because I respond to my name,
Battle cries,
I take charge in my name.
I am blessed unlike those
Who don’t need a face and story
To ground them to a history they see
Everywhere
I am visible in my name

So no,
I don’t have a nickname.
For I will not shorten
Or adjust even a bit of myself
To fit the capacity
you have
To stomach Me.
And my nine letters
Can spell
more defiance,
more passion,
more fire
than you will ever be able to extinguish.

My name is a form of resistance
because I was named for a purpose.
And like all things that have a purpose,
I will not rest
until mine
on this earth
is fulfilled.

So I will tell my stories,
I will them for they need to be heard,
And I invite pride to come into the hearts
Of those who wait submerged

For my name is a form of resistance.
And in it, I am empowered,
Loud, and clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment